Colliginous Trenchancy,

I am (an an advanced age) finally working my way to an engineering degree,
and have been accepted at our state's premier technical university. They
just happen to have a Collegium Musicum (which I've played with in the
past). It just happens to have a theorbo, although currently it is classed
as "in need of repair". It is my intention to get it repaired and use it to
play continuo (which I am learning now).

The only reentrant tuning I've dealt with before was a Ukelelei. (Can you
mention one of them here without starting a riot?)

I figured I could at least get a start by changing out the top two strings
of my classical guitar for an A and D string, and tuning them to B and E, an
octave lower than 'usual'. This works pretty well, and I was able to make
sense of Kapsberger's toccata arpeggiata with a fair minimum of twisting my
brain around Italian tab. Up to now, I've been french/english tab
exclusively.

I seek advice and help: On a student's budget, is there a source for scale
and chord studies, the basics that would make the relations of the strings
make more sense to someone who has been linear-all-his-life? Any advice for
learning Italian tab for someone used to french tab? I've found that the
physical relation between the strings (high pitched string towards gravity)
and Italian tab (high string notated 'down') does me no good.

Ray