----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lute list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 5:46 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Fingering question/Pastyme with Good Companye

| How amazing.  I never noticed this before.  But yes,
Francesco's Richafort
| De mon triste deplaisir (Ness 121) follows the melody of
Pastyme right the
| way through from beginning to end.
|
| Anyone know the words of the Richafort?  'De mon triste
deplaisir' seems a
| long way away from 'Pastyme with good companye'!
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Take a look at "Ness App 32."  Is that the first tombeau? It
quotes Francesco's parody ricercar on Richafort's chanson, which
borrows its tune from a chanson rustique. <and so forth>

A simple setting is in Phalese 1547 and 1563.  But there's lots
more.  Hundreds, perhaps.
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
Free Download of the Week

This week's free download from
Classical Music Library is
Ginastera's Estancia Suite, Op. 8a,
performed by the
Carlos Chavez Symphony Orchestra;
Fernando Lozano, conductor.
Click on the CML link here
http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/
===================================

| On 29/03/2008, Benjamin Narvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| >
| > Is "Pastyme with Good Companye" really not by Henry the VIII?
Excuse this
| > perhaps very silly question from a 17c-iste, but I always
assumed it was
| > actually by the great man himself - although there could
easily be new
| > information/finds/theories I am not aware of.  I note however
that the New
| > Grove's still attributes this piece to Henry, although
tacitly accepting
| > that the attribution could be challenged:
| >

| > "Several of Henry's pieces have connections with continental
music, but
| > the
| > extent to which he borrowed from continental composers has
been
| > exaggerated.
| > The only demonstrable case of borrowing is *Gentil prince de
renom*, where
| > three of the parts are from Petrucci's *Harmonice musices
Odhecaton
| > A*(1501), Henry's only contribution being the extremely weak
| > contratenor part.
| > The discantus of *Helas madam* is based on a continental
melody, and *En
| > vray amoure* uses a melody found in Comp=E8re and elsewhere,
but in both
| > cases
| > the other parts appear to be by Henry, and reveal the
characteristics and
| > limitations of his technique. *Adew madam* exists in a
slightly improved
| > version as *Time to pas*. Apart from faults such as
consecutives and
| > ill-considered doubling of the 3rd (especially in the
contratenor), a
| > notable feature of Henry's style is his reliance on passages
in parallel
| > 6ths. The four-part pieces with French texts probably date
from when he
| > was
| > as young as ten (see Fallows). Their survival is no doubt due
more to the
| > celebrity of the composer than to their musical merits.
However, the same
| > cannot be said for some of the English pieces, such as
*Pastyme with good
| > companye* (the melody of which is found in Richafort's *De
mon triste et
| > desplaisir* and could have been borrowed by Richafort rather
than the
| > other
| > way round), *Alac alac what shall I do* and *Grene growith
the holy*.
| > These
| > songs, robust or plaintive as the case may be, have a
memorable beauty all
| > their own."
| > Best,
| > Benjamin
| >

| > On 29/03/2008, David Tayler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > >
| > > It is a favorite pastime to say pieces are really not by X,
| > > and it is easy because, when you come right down to it,
| > > in the renaissance there is no real way to prove anybody
wrote anything.
| > > People argue whether Shakespeare existed.
| > > You can't go exclusively on attribution, because they are
often wrong.
| > > You can't go on style, because that is always wrong.
| > > So basically, you have the contemporaries' word in the
absence of
| > > contradiction, that is the standard.
| > > If it says X on it, it is X unless there is a really good
reason not
| > > to believe it.
| > > But in spite of this, people (myself included, of course)
hammer away
| > > at the canon--it is an easy target.
| > > And sometimes, it is right to do so, but many times people
try to
| > > take down a famous piece because it is famous.
| > > Many people still think Henry VIII wrote Pastime with Good
Company.
| > > Hey, isn't that in the Ness book? I have to have a look
(papers
| > > shuffling).
| > >
| > > There are maybe some marginal pieces to look closely at,
but not
| > > "Compagna."
| > > Or maybe I'm too attached to it.
| > > I still can't get over Bist du bei mir. I secretly believe
it is
| > > Bach, and probably always will.
| > > Is it fair that once a gorgeous piece is de-canonized, that
we play it
| > no
| > > more?
| > >
| > > dt