I'm thinking of getting a 7c in G at 440 - is 64cms the longest length
possible? I have big hands and find small lutes uncomfortable. I'm thinking
of it principally for Dowland's chromatic fantasies but also accompanying a
singer in songs from Dowland's first three books (all for seven-course), and
need to be at 440. How stable will be the pitch at 440? Gut strings would be
preferable, but might well opt for nylgut for the first course if it keeps
breaking. What diameters and tensions would you suggest?

Also on relatively small lutes (not baroque) such as a 7c, what difference
in tone might one expect from a multi-ribbed back as opposed to wide ribs?

Rob MacKillop