On Mar 19, 2008, at 3:35 AM, Stephen Arndt wrote:
> David Tayler recently recommended recording at 48Hz/24-bit. As far
> as I can tell, the Edirol R-1 that I use will only record at
> 44.1Hz, though it can be set to 24-bit. The trebles sounded a
> little distorted to me, and I am wondering whether recording at
> 48Hz would give a truer sound. David also recomended the Fostex FR2
> LE. It costs about the same as the Edirol R-1, and I am considering
> buying one. Can anyone tell me whether I would be getting much of
> an improvement over the Edirol for the price? Any information would
> be welcome.

Both 44.1 and 48K are more than twice the frequency of the upper
limits of human hearing of people with excellent hearing. This is
more than enough for average hearers and overkill if you are making
an MP3. The sampling rate needs to be more than double the hearing
range because of some technical reason. Just Google something called
the Nyquest frequency to find out more.

I have an Edirol and like it a lot. If you are using the internal
mics, one or another of the several new digital recording devices may
be better than another. Manufacturers keep leapfrogging each other,
so I would guess, everything else being equal, generally the latest
thing has a better chance of being better than something a couple of
years old like the Edirol.  I would look for comparisons of the
Fostex and others on tapper or audiophile sites.

If you want a noticeable improvement to your sound, the best
investment IMO would be a very expensive microphone (or pair).
Digital recording is of such a high quality today, even with a cheap
device, it is not going to be the weak link in the chain. People will
go on and on about preamps, mics, converters, cables and even
connectors. I say find a quiet place to record, experiment with
position, edit to taste and work on getting the best performance
possible.

PS. Mastering engineers say that if you are going to manipulate the
sound in any way, including change of gain, you should use 24 bits so
that there are plenty of bits to play with before the final mix to 16
bits. Again, if your final destination is MP3, why worry about it?

Read it again, I think I made a point somewhere in there.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/