Dear Rob & all:

I have to say that one must approach even the sainted S&B editions with a bit
of caution.  The poetry retains many of the 'corrections' perpetrated by
Fellows, who should be commended for his pioneering work but scolded for
messing with the texts.  It is worth the bother to check the S&B editions
against the facsimiles, Diana Poulton's Dowland biography (with song-by-song
analysis), and Doughtie's _Lyrics from English Airs_.  It seems like a great
deal of trouble just to sing some lute songs, doesn't it?

Best wishes,

Ron Andrico
http://www.mignarda.com
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:47:58 +0100> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC:
> lute@cs.dartmouth.edu> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Dowland's
> Books> > Stainer and Bell in the UK have published all Dowland's songs in
> reliable> modern editions - including lute tablature and transcription:>
> http://www.stainer.co.uk/dowland.html> > Rob MacKillop> > --> > To get on or
> off this list see list information at>
Pack up or back up-use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn
how.
hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008