This particular piece is a version of a well-known tune called "La
Gamba," which in many sources is called a galliard.  If you play it
as galliard, the walking steps of the duple pavan fit perfectly.  The
same is true of the triple-time pavan in Milan's El Maestro.

There was a tradition of notating galliards in duple time.  The LSA
Quarterly had articles about it in January 1988 (by Paul O'Dette) and
November 2001 (by Daniel Heiman).