This is a fine tale and thank you for it, Daniel.  However, the whole of
the US's creamy center isn't necessarily that desert-like (or
dessert-like).  Consider Indiana U. and their early-music festival in
Bloomington, IN.  Here in Columbus, OH, we have a thriving, obscenely
well-attended early-music concert series.  Cleveland has a successful
baroque orchestra and tends to host the LSA convention every other year.  Etc.

Best,
Eugene