Thanks again for your help, Joseph.
What you describe seems basically what I do with gut.
However, the way I learned (from Joel van Lennep??? way back when) involved
burning one end of the gut slightly over a candle flame to make an enlarged
bulb to hold the end of the slip knot, pulling it tight as you say, and then
closing the knot by burning off the protruding strand, thereby simultaneously
cutting the strand and forming another enlarged bulb to hold the knot.  (Sorry,
this writes up sounding much more complicated than it is in practice!)
How do you deal with this with nylon?
Also, what grit sandpaper do you recommend?
Best again,
Chris.

>>> Joseph Mayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/29/2008 8:37 am >>>
Hello Christopher

    What I use with nylon is a knot I learned from Dan Larson at an LSA
fest. It's basically a slipknot with the fret pulled tight through the loop.
I find it works great with nylon that has been roughened with sandpaper.
    I have too many instruments to string with gut ($) and I play with nails
(you know, for the historical accuracy) which tend to chew up gut strings. I
use nylon and carbon fiber. Interestingly enough, I find my gut frets being
worn much more on the treble side than the bass. Probably more use - but
then, why the higher frets more than the lower? (picture me scratching my
head)
    But here's another advantage to nylon frets - virtually no wear.

Best,
Joseph Mayes