On Sun, 4 May 2008, Greg Silverman wrote:

> Dear all,
> My wife has a recital coming up early next month.  For one of her selections
> is Jacob van Eyck's setting of
> "Philis schoone Harderinne." She was able to get that Phyllis is a beautiful
> something or other.  Does anyone know what a
> Harderinne is? (She thinks it may be a shepherdess, but has been unable to

Herderin in modern Dutch is indeed shepherdes.  The "ne" at the end is an
old form of the same; the "a" at the beginning I cannot place.  A typo
perhaps?

Peter.

> verify this.)
>
> Please to help!
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Greg--

the next auto-quote is:
In the last analysis, there are only atoms. There's just
one science, Physics; everything else is social work.
(James Watson)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881