To All:

This is an interesting discussion about frets, double or single.  I think there
is no reason to doubt Dowland's recommendations for fret sizes (fourth string
for the first fret). Is is possible to infer that his guidelines indicate much
larger string diameters, and probably a lower pitched tuning?

Best wishes,

Ron Andrico

www.mignarda.com

> Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:54:06 +0000> To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Fret diameters, a
> geometrical approach> > > Thank you for this.> > When you say 'not to be
> taken literally', I presume you mean because he was (through neccessity)
> obliged to link the same size of two frets with just one gut lute string,
> rather casting doubt on the general (small) size of the frets. If he had
> wanted to imply thicker frets he could have just as easily started with the
> 'Tenor' (5th course), but he didn't.> > MH> > PS Incidentally the 'Other
> Necessary Obs...' are by John D not Robert.> > > > > --- On Wed, 14/5/08,
> Gernot Hilger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > > From: Gernot Hilger <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]>> > Subject: [LUTE] Fret diameters, a geometrical approach> > To:
> "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>> > Date: Wednesday, 14
> May, 2008, 1:39 PM> > There has been some discussion about !
 fret diameters lately.> > For those > > who might be interested, I did some
quick and dirty> > geometry with > > Excel and have put this online> >
(http://www.jsbach.mynetcologne.de/ > > frets). The results come with no
warranty, of course> > because there may > > be some bugs hidden. Also, the
effects of meantone> > temperament are not > > yet included. These are anyway
much smaller than the> > effects of > > different fret diameter strategies.> >
> > The gist is that there are almost no differences between> > different > >
strategies except for the Robert Dowland method which is> > clearly not > > to
be taken literally.> > > > Have fun> > g> > > > > > > > To get on or off this
list see list information at> >
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html> > >
Mail.> A Smarter Email http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html> >
http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008