Daniel
        This is all very interesting, but I admit that I was hoping to be
able to set-up my lute in some sort of meantone, avoiding too much
fiddling about, by using a preprogrammed Turbo tuner. David v O., in
a recent posting, does seem to consider that it is possible to use
this to tune to meantone temperaments, although he also gives a
method of calculation, on his site using ear, paper and pencil.
I admit that I am maths challenged, and can rarely manage to measure
anything, or draw a straight-line, and my ear is probably not above
average, either.

However, I recently went to hear and see the very unusual toroidal
diapasons made by Charles Besnainou of the CNRS, and I was not only
surprised by how he makes those strings (but I'll keep that to
another day), but also by the extraordinary fretting on his Baroque
lute. All the frets were oblique (difficult to tweak that with a
tuner), and at different intervals, and of course there was the usual
sprinkling of Tastinis. Now he is capable of any type of acoustic
analysis, but tells me he sets up his lute entirely by ear not even
using paper and pencil. I wish I had made a photo of his lute.
Another French Baroque lute player, Vincent Siess, who is very
competent mathematician tells me he sets his lute by the paper,
pencil and ear method.

These photos are of "The other" Stepen Stubb's lute in 1/4 comma.
Stephen uses David's exact instructions on how to tune with minimal
use of a tuner, at
http://home.planet.nl/~d.v.ooijen/david/writings/meantone_f.html

This gives the following result, with an additional top fret instead
of a Tastini:
http://tinyurl.com/63ewuj
http://tinyurl.com/69w65e
http://tinyurl.com/6fnrt4

Nevertheless, David does seem to consider that it is possible to use
the Turbo tuner at least as a help to tune in unequal temperament.

For example, David gives the following chart for programming 6th comma
http://home.planet.nl/~d.v.ooijen/david/writings/meantone_p_bestanden/
silbermann.JPG

We see David's use of Tastini, here:
http://tinyurl.com/5mzblr
He says the Tastinis can be relaced by using half a double fret. I
have therefore ordered double frets, on my future Baroque lute.
Petersen does give two charts showing how their tuner is
preprogrammed for 1/6th comma

Petersen Chart:
Here are the offsets for 1/6th Comma Meantone where A=440Hz:

[b][i]Note_____Offset[/i][/b]
C________+04.9
C#_______-06.4
D________+01.7
Eb_______+09.8
E________-01.6
F________+06.5
F#_______-04.9
G________+03.3
Ab_______-08.2
A________-00.0
Bb_______+08.1
B________-03.2

1/6th Comma Meantone with an Equally Tempered Root of C:

[i][b]Note_____Offset[/b][/i]
C________+00.0
C#_______-11.3
D________-03.2
Eb_______+04.9
E________-06.5
F________+01.6
F#_______-09.8
G________-01.6
Ab_______-13.1
A________-04.9
Bb_______+03.2
B________-08.1

Petersen says, "1/6th Comma Meantone is included as a preset in our
new [url="www.strobosoft.com"]StroboSoft[/url] tuning software."

I suppose this should mean that they offer more than one preset, and
a G lute might, perhaps, be preset as follows. Just how many presets
might you need, and how exactly do you determine when you need a
particular one?

G  = 0
Ab = -11,5
A = -3,3
Bb = +4,8
B = -5,5
C-=+1,6
D=-1,6
Eb=+6,5
E=-4,9
F=+3,2
F#=-8,2
G=0

The paper and ear method, begins to seem inviting. I am no
mathematician, and I do regret that there seems to be no easy way out.
I hope you understand that I am crying out for help over this issue.
Anthony