Rob
I think you are almost bound to be right. There must have been overlap, (I seem to remember Martin giving arguments for the state of affairs you are describing). Indeed, going in the opposite direction (from 7c to 8 or 9c), I am using unisons on the 5th, on my 7c, while according to Martin there is no clear evidence that that configuration ever existed on a 7c lute. I don't think there is any evidence that it didn't either, so perhaps the choice depends on the particular type of music that we want to play on the 7c lute. Why not string it with an octave on 4c, for Italian repertoire, and in unisons on the 5th for later Elizabethan music.

However, if it could be shown that the 7c developed almost in parallel with some improvement in string technology, which brought about a sudden change in the way lower strings were considered, then, perhaps, there was a fairly abrupt change in stringing with not so much overlap.

Well, that is no answer to your question, Rob, as I don't have the detailed photos of paintings that could serve as evidence one way or another. Martin, I think has found arguments from the music itself, and from remarks in lute treatises.
Regards
Anthony