Dear Anthony and All,

Just a couple of things to add:

One of my examples from Cutting (not in the message you quote, I think) is the Pavan "Sans per" and its galliard, which makes extensive use of a 7th at D but only makes sense with an octave on the 4th course. This suggests he had good enough strings to be able to do complicated stuff with the 7th course but still used an octave on the 4th (out of tradition? habit? because he simply liked it that way?).

Dowland also makes extensive use of the 7th at D and I think he must have had a decent string to do it with, also in the 1590s (it seems that most of Dowland's solo music was written before 1600). My favourite example from Dowland (which was in the message you quoted) is "K.Darcy's galliard", written before 1591, but usually known to us as "Queen Elizabeth's Galliard" because it acquired that name later and is styled thus in VLL.

Sometimes notes do resolve at the "wrong" octave, so one can't be too categorical about assuming a particular tuning on the basis of a particular piece of tablature. I do find it highly suggestive, though.

Best wishes,

Martin

Anthony Hind wrote:

Dear Rob, John and Martin
Martin Shepherd says "The music often suggests octaves when a cadence is resolved at the "wrong" octave, or a scale passage jumps octave for no apparent reason, or a note which is needed for correct voice leading or point of imitation is apparently missing but supplied by the upper octave of a lower course. " The examples Martin give seem to be for 6 course lutes, but they include Cutting, Dowland, and Holborne where "Octaves on courses 4 and 5 solve the problem."
http://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg19978.html
(Incidentally, I don't have the 6th in unison, as Martin had understood, but I do have the 5th.)

Of course, it might be that the phenomenon mentioned by Martin is only to be observed on 6 Course lutes.In which case perhaps there was a strong conservative tradition for all 6 course lutes to be tuned in this way, but not for 7 course lutes (Although, absence of such examples, if in fact none can be found, are not proof in themselves of a change in stringing to unisons). However, Martin's examples do at at least seem to suggest that octaves on the 4th were most probably used in English Renaissance music (at least on 6c lutes); and if you want to keep the 4th with Octave for the period from earlier Italian to Elizabethan, why not.
See also, http://www.luteshop.co.uk/stringsoctaves.htm

It might however, be the case (but I am just musing here), that this type of octave stringing went together with conservative TI; and the change to TO could also have been strongly associated with the change to Unison which itself could have had something to do with better bass strings (encouraging the change to unison on the 4th and the 5th). Together, better basses, TO, and Unisons could have allowed better exploration of the bass register. Martin's words, here, could suggest something like that, "Sorry, the bit about English lutenists being backward was just my little
joke - but they were far from the centres of string production, and
Dowland complains about the inferior quality of some of the strings
available in England.  If the English found it more difficult to get
really good strings, this may have slowed the adoption of unison
stringing in England."
In which case, perhaps my unisons on the 5th course do not go so well with my use of TI; but on the other hand, TO, might not go so well with the use of Octaves on the 4th.

Indeed, this article by John Edwards, suggests that Dowland's change from TI to TO could have had something to do with a search for increased treble-bass polarity.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/3128435
A change to bass unisons could be part of the same tendency, but this could surely only have been permitted by improved string technology.

Perhaps, also the real cut off point might have been the change to 9 and 10 course lutes; but I am not sure to what extent Dowland's music does show the increased polarity, that JE mentions. POD seems to suggest that such a musical change can be observed more clearly in the tablature of Bacheler (influenced by French practises). POD implies this in his notes to his Bacheler recording, "At any rate , Bacheler switched from the standard 8 course Elizabethan lute to the French 10 course instrument (..) and his works frequently explore the rich sonorities of the low basses of the new lute".

However, this does not necessarily mean, that a change was not already beginning in the 7c music of Dowland. Indeed, it does seem possible that loaded strings might have been introduced around the same period as the 7c lute, judging by the dark red bass on this famous painting,
http://tinyurl.com/3xcmt9
but were very good loaded strings available in England, at the time of Dowland's 7c lute creations? Martin's words above seem to imply, perhaps, they were not.
Sorry, I didn't have time to make this shorter. I have to rush.
Regards
Anthony