On 5/26/08 1:04 AM, "Jon Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I may make a suggestion, try buying a cheap Paki or Indian made lute on
> EBay. Use it to learn what is wrong with it. In effect that is what I did
> with my "flat back", I now know what the lute should be. BTW, Ronn McFarlane
> played my flat back once, after I'd modified it, and declared it " a sweet
> sounding instrument". I think that might have been a "damning with faint
> praise", but I'll still accept the compliment. When playing a cheap
> instrument one must accept that the tuning may not hold - and that one must
> at times accept a bit of discord - but it is better to learn the basics of
> play before venturing into the construction and finding out that one has
> made some primary errors. I still can enjoy playing my flat back, but I
> really anticipate the play of my planned lute.
>
> Best, Jon
> BTW, I'm primarily a harpist and psaltery player, but the lute is a lovely
> thing and once I make a good one I'll be torn among the instruments.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the suggestion.

At one time, I did order a cheap southeast asian flat back lute - even had
it ordered and all.  In the end I cancelled it when I read about the work
needed to make one of these even remotely playable.  It just seemed to be
easier to make one.

That said, I will consider it as a possible option as I sit, think, and
plan.

Ehud