I think the idea, pioneered by harpsichordists, of scaling may well
be true, although there are still some uncertainties in my mind,
particularly in regards to notches of various types, but also in
regard to paired instruments, or trios and quartets of instruments.
Assuming that "tone apart" held sway, one can still freely scale. At
certains points, or continua, these pairs then overlap.

However, with all due respect to those much better versed in the inns
and outs of pitches than me,
I stll maintain that any equation of the  form
A=xHz, where A is a non transposing pitch, and x the frequency, cannot be true.

However, as it affects scale, with the caveat that lutes may often
scale in pairs, this simply adds another dimension to the idea, so
that one can scale by assigning a course rather than an absolute pitch.
This reflects historical notational practice.

In the subterrannean bar at the my last German festival a few weeks
ago, after a few drinks, and many more, a fierce argument ensued on
pitch--no one wins of course--and one person said:
"have you not seen all the cornettos, they are all at the same
length--465 or therabouts"
So I travelled to Verona, and looked at the mountain of cornettos
there, and they were all different sizes.
And so it goes.
I did get to play the 16th century flute, however. Was it a D flute
or a C flute? No way to know. There were 6 of them, in the world perhaps 24.

Perhaps the answer, as far as theorbos go, is to have a new
definition of theorbo.
Slim chance that everyone will agree on the definition, but perhaps a
collective attempt is the way to go.

I propose the following:

Theorbo
A bass lute or renaissance lute with an extended neck enabling
additional, unfretted bass notes:  instruments based on, or developed
from these models.

I'm sure someone can come up with a better one; I don't mind being the worst :)

dt