On Jun 5, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:

> I don't think you are mistaken; however, that still would not
> involve a chemical change of the gut material itself.

Does dyeing?  The question, if I am again unmistaken, was whether a
process used for dyeing might incidentally increase the density/
weight of a string.  As far as I can see, adding anything to the
string's innards is going to increase its density, though the
increase may be negligible.  Anyone who uses gut strings knows they
get denser from absorbing water when the humidity rises.