Dear David (van Oijen) and All,

Thanks for raising these issues. In reply there are a few pieces of evidence and some speculation:

1. By 1610, Dowland is no longer tuning his top strings (note double top course) as high as they will go, but "must be strayned neither too stiffe nor too slacke, but of such a reasonable height that they may deliver a pleasant sound, and also (as Musitions call it) play too and fro after the strokes thereon".

2. Dowland also reports in 1610, that "some few yeeres after" the invention of body frets by Mathias Mason, "by the French Nation, the neckes of the Lutes were lengthned, and thereby increased two frets more, so as all those Lutes which are most received and desired, are of tenne frets". Even if he started from a string length of about 59cm, and even allowing for the decrease in body length which results from a conversion from 6-7 courses to 9 courses, the resulting lutes with 10-fret necks would have been in the 65-70cm range.

3. Speculation - but Ian Harwood's observations on the sizes of viols suggest two pitch standards about a fourth or a fifth apart, the lower of which could well have been in the region we're talking about - about a tone below modern pitch.

I know Dowland's song books (except Musicall Banquet, which is exactly contemporary with VLL) date from 1597 onwards and use only a 7c lute, but still our modern pitch of a'=440 seems an absolute maximum for those songs and lutes - I think the likelihood is the general pitch was somewhat lower, and by 1610 definitely lower.

The four-part ayres date from the earlier period where it is possible that the usual pitch was not much less than modern, but this is indeed an interesting factor in speculations about pitch as it raises questions about just how low a bass singer was expected to sing! If I remember correctly the lowest note is a D, the bottom string of the bass viol. It is also worth remembering that when all the parts are sung, the lute is not really needed, so the pitch of the lute becomes irrelevant.

Best wishes,

Martin

LGS-Europe wrote:

Martin

Thank you for forwarding David Hill's email, it does raise interesting issues.

Just a few points. You wrote:

I have some reasons to believe that Dowland would have expected to hear his songs about a tone or perhaps even a minor third below modern pitch

Why?

if we allow a substantially lower pitch, these songs could be sung by almost anybody, whether they were (by modern classification) a "baritone" or a "tenor", a "mezzo" or a "soprano".

Yes, but how about the four-part versions, presumably with the same lute.

realities of music making in his time, where no-one got out a tuning fork at the beginning of a rehearsal.....

True, but there is that same lute again, with the treble tuned up just under breaking point, hence at a more or less fixed pitch.

Something else. There are some period transposed lute parts, aren't there? Anyway, there were differenty sized, and presumably pitched lutes. Playing a lute song on a lute a fourth down makes it very suitable for an alto. This is what I sometimes do with my counter tenor, by the way, but more often I transpose just one tone or a third down. Transposing down a second makes some of the lute parts easier, strangely enough. Morley's 'It was a lover and his lass' comes to mind. But that's coincidence, not evidence.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Shepherd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "David Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 9:46 PM
Subject: [LUTE] lute songs

Dear All,

I just realized that "forwarding" something to the list runs foul of the "attachments forbidden" rule, so here is the whole thing - apologies for any duplication:

I'm forwarding this reply to my note from David Hill, sometime countertenor and fellow alumnus of the Deller Academy and Bob Spencer (see below for David's comments, which you should read first if you want to make sense of any of this).

I was unaware of the Wigthorp concordance, and also forgot to mention some wrong notes which really jarred with one who has been familiar with Dowland's original since the year dot....

As for consort songs being for "treble" voices, I'm afraid this once again raises the ugly head of the pitch monster. - if so, then "treble" often tails off into "alto" without too much difficulty. I'm not saying there was a "standard" pitch in Dowland's time, but at the same time we should resist the temptation to project our assumptions about pitch onto their music.

The problem with the modern countertenor singing lute songs is partly to do with pitch and partly to do with voice production/timbre. As far as pitch is concerned, many songs are sufficiently low that a modern countertenor can manage them (at the top of their range) without transposition - but then we have problems which relate to any voice being at the top of its range, in a music which values speech-like intelligibility. The voice production/timbre issue is perhaps less serious, but the "head voice" of the modern c/t is not always conducive to the kind of speech-like expression which seems to be required for the effective delivery of the poems.

Just a thought about pitch - we tend to think in terms of a'=440, and therefore in terms of most lute songs being "for" tenor or soprano - but if we allow a substantially lower pitch, these songs could be sung by almost anybody, whether they were (by modern classification) a "baritone" or a "tenor", a "mezzo" or a "soprano". Surely that fits very well with Dowland's publication strategy and also with the realities of music making in his time, where no-one got out a tuning fork at the beginning of a rehearsal.....

Best to All,

Martin

Re: Down, down, down I fall