There were the wax tablets, but it seems likely that there were
multiple systems for compositions.
Sketches on paper show, obviously, that paper was used for sketches.
These systems could have been used in combination
Surely the keyboard was used by many composers
Dowland most likely composed for a consort setting, with little or no
divisions added.
Dowland's self proclaimed reliance on the hexachord seems to be hold
up under analysis
Various charts and tables existed for transnotation.
The good composers could easily hold four or even five parts in their
heads, whether they then chose to sketch the material we may never know.
The ornaments for almost all lute music can be found in the various
tutors, although a complete picture requires the supposition of a
missing english tutor or tutors whose contents can be formally
derived from extant parts.
The application of the ornaments invariably yeilds clues as to the
author of the divisions, owing to the way in which the simple rules
of voice leading are observed or unobserved.

dt