Jaroslaw and Martyn
I believe the difference in calculation comes from Martyn using a stiffish high twist (rather than a rope). This can possibly be pushed through quite a narrow hole, where a flexible rope would not go through. Mimmo is taking the calculation for a rope diameter as being 80% of the size of the hole, as Segerman seems to have said. Perhaps, Segerman's ropes at that time were unsmoothed, perhaps not. Then, we know that ropes have a higher degree of flexibity than stiff gut. Thus when you raise the rope up to tension, it will become thinner than its original size. So it will be thinner than 80%, perhaps around 70% to 75% (if it began at 80% of the size of the lute hole).

Now, this would be what would happen, with the type of stringing that Satoh uses (Pistoys). However, Martyn seems to be using a stiff gut high twist of 1,4 that he thinks will go through a hole of 1,5mm. Have you actually tried that Martyn? Now according to Charles Besnainou, inharmonicity is caused by the stiffness of the string at the bridge and the nut. I simplify, but the sound waves encounter the greater stiffness at the nut and bridge end, and some wave forms are returned out of phase, and these partially cancel the initiating wave form (particularly the high frequencies) givin inharmonicity.

If the high twist and the rope are at normal high tension, the result will be far worse for the hightwist, as it will be stiffer. However, perhaps you can lower the tension more on a high twist, before it loses its ability to vibrate. As you lower the tension, so the stiffness will presumably decrease at the nut and the bridge. Perhaps at a very low tension this means that the hightwist is not so inharmonic as it was previously.

This sort of thing can be measured. I will ask Charles whether he has done comparative studies of such strings at lower tensions.

Martyn, what is the sound like of your high twist at 1,5Kg? Does it sound good. Could you make a recording for us? Have you actually tried using a 1,4 string with a 1,5 hole? More importantly, even if this CAN be done, is it comfortable? Is it hard to push the string through (even if it is possible)? Would you want to do that each time you put a string on your lute?
If this is not the case why did they not make slightly larger holes?

Have I in any way twisted your hypothesis. I tried to state what I understand, and the possible consequences. Please let us know your thoughts.
Anthony