I had heard that things were going from bad to worse for oud
luthiers in Iraq.  That they were persecuted and many had gone
underground.  That's why the picture seems so strange to
illustrate that upbeat story.  It doesn't match what they are
writing about. Is the pictured luthier Iraqi?  Do you suppose
they were looking for a picture of Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute?<g>

Here's Kyvelos. It's not he.
http://www.nea.gov/honors/heritage/fellows/fellow.php?id=2001_07
On the "interview" link is one of his instruments. His ouds sell
for thousands of dollars.  The Boston MFA owns one.

Do you get to the MFA music instrument lectures, Robert? He and
his pals have nothing but contempt for the ouds from Pakistan.
"Super market lutes." First Monday of the month, at 11 a.m.
Kyvelos gave one of the lectures about two years ago, or so.
Chris Henricksen is scheduled for September or October.  He's
to speak and play on guitars in the MFA with more than six
strings.  They've got plenty of those.<g>
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
This week's free download from Classical Music Library is
Schubert's String Quartet No. 13 in A minor, D. 804
To download, click on the CML link here
http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

My Web Page:  Scores
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/