Fuenllana has a few moments where the third finger has to cover two courses,
four strings. I could get it right about 90 per cent of the time by using
one finger, as the courses on my vihuela were very close. But it is a case
of swings and roundabouts. Sometimes we want the courses close, sometimes we
want them further apart. Are we ever truly happy?!

One luthier told me that thumb-in players preferred wider spacing at the
bridge than thumb-out players, and this led to wider spacing at the nut, and
when these thumb-in players commissioned instruments set up this way, they
made some of the repertoire more difficult for themselves. Fuenllana was a
thumb-out player...

Rob