Dear Mathias, and All
What you say below (about 6th comma being incompatible with French Baroque ) is entirely convincing, and indeed, Benjamin Narvey (musicologist, specializing in the area of French Baroque music), who I met yesterday, told me exactly the same thing, and said he would probably want to put my lute back to ET before playing. (as Martin Shepherd also explained " it does seem to be more of a nuisance having the first fret high (Gb rather than F#) because the problem is not only on the fourth course but on the first as well. So playing a D major chord with the third at the top (on the first fret, first course) can be an uncomfortable experience)." I can only say that B. made very beautiful music flow from my lute, and he commented that for whatever reason, and he couldn't understand why, 6th comma seemed to be working on this lute.

Benjamin played a "programme" of French to German Baroque on it. The only real change he thought I should make, was to lower the pitch from 415 to 392, to have slightly thicker trebles. I entirely agree with this, and that was actually what I had ordered originally from Stephen, but I forgot to make this clear at the time he strung the lute. I know several French French Baroque players, who use synthetics and yet who still prefer 392, so it is not just to save gut trebles, although that would be useful. Indeed, the following day, I could hear that treble had gone false, and I think that was why Benjamin had not found the treble on my lute entirely convincing (the day before, a visiting French musician had found the treble was the best thing about tit, that and the pegs).

However, Benjamin was entirely convinced by the loaded strings; he thought they were working wonderfully. Nevertheless, if you do try them, be patient, as Stephen G. was not particularly impressed during the three days he had my lute just after having strung it. They have now been on the lute for about a week, and have really begun to bloom.

I will put some photos of Benjamin trying my lute and comparing it with his Martin Haycock, shortly, on Ning Lute.

The French Baroque lutist (and lute collector), who tried my lute before Benjamin, always uses equal temperament, even for Renaissance music. He was also surprised to find nothing wrong with the 6th comma. I am not saying that it was ideal (as we did not try ET), but at least for these two very different musicians they did not feel there was anything unacceptably wrong. Both lutists said how wonderful the peg action was, and remarked that at last they actually began enjoying tuning.

At first, the French lutist was not all that impressed by the loaded strings (he is not a gut user), but after playing a while he seemed to realize how clearly they were allowing the other voices to express themselves. He adapted very quickly to them, and did not have the sort of problem you would usually associate with someone going from wirewounds to gut basses. He finally left saying they were good, but that with his 32 lutes, he was certainly not going to change over from wirewounds.

Nevertheless, I think if a wirewound user is thinking about using gut basses, then they should consider trying the new loaded strings: they are not far from the thickness of a wirewound, and another advantage is that, once they have stabilized, they do not seem to suffer so much from the usual fluctuations due to humidity, perhaps because of the copper "cladding". However, for some one already used to pure gut basses, they will have to decide for themselves which sound-type they prefer, as presumably they will have come to terms with the thickness of pure gut basses, or use very low tension, or some type of bass extended lute to get round that problem.

Personally, I wouldn't part with them. If they were quite good on my 7c lute, I feel they are really excellent on my 11c. Now, I must be cautious (I dare say that as we found the 6 comma somehow acceptable on my Baroque lute, you may judge us all "cloth eared" anyway). Also, I repeat, please do be patient, if you try them. Wait at least a week to allow them time to come fully up to tension, and to thin-out, and harden up. Initially they are a little soft and silk string like. This however disappears, and you end up with a very dark but Venice type sound. So of course, if you don't like the Venice sound, preferring the very focussed taut projection of a high-twist over the good high frequence harmonic presence in a Venice (as a number of lutists on our list have recently told me they do), then these loaded strings may not be your particular cup of tea. Indeed, I stress this, because just like tea or coffee, we become used to the particular string-type, its qualities and defects, if we use them regularly (even wirewounds), we do learn to ignore their failings, while we cling desperately to their qualities. Your particular playing style, and even choice of lute may have developed directly in relation to the string type you are used to, and this will mean that my personal experience, along with the few people who have tried these loaded strings on my lute, does not prove anything at all for your own preferences. There are many string types to choose from, and the more lute and string "tastings" we do, the greater our sensitivity should become to the possible nuances in our music; so while I do suggest you should try the loaded strings, if you have the chance, I am not saying that they are the only possible solution. One interesting thing about Baroque music, is the variety of ways by which players, string, and lute, makers find to get round the set of contradictory needs of our instrument of choice, and the difference in tonal shades that this can give us (beyond any issue of historic correctness).

However, just one area where I do feel these strings seem to win over other gut basses that I have tried, including the previous loaded, is that their thinness along with their trueness, make the usual "intonation" problems between basses and octaves, and trebles, almost completely disappear. Perhaps, this explains why the 6th comma "dischords" were judged acceptable. Perhaps the overall in tuness just won the day.

In short (throwing all caution aside) and imagining that these loaded strings were not actually at all historical*, but that somehow Sire Charles Mouton could be given the chance of trying a set on his small "Maler/Desmoulins" lute, then my "gut feeling" is that he would be giving a long sigh of relief, and satisfaction, that at last his short string length lute was really working.

Anthony
(*but I will return to the question of historicity, later in another message, so as not to overload you with this question).