Consider a dual purpose instrument.
An archlute, or a 9 course or 10 course can be dual setup to play in French tuning, either with double strings (archlute) or single strings (9 or 10 course) as well as the original tuning. You can also setup the archlute to play in single and double, old tuning or D minor tuning.
Weiss on the theorbo in D minor tuning sounds amazing, btw.
dt