Playing from tablature can easily be done without knowledge of the
polyphony, ornamentation and voice leading.
It can ALSO be done while "seeing" all these things--this is "Lute DSP"

Thus, one can easily apply the correct ornaments to tab, as well as
transpose up and down a tone or a fourth, and sing any of the parts.,
using Lute DSP.

Until the notes can seen as well as heard, it is really not practical
to apply a number of ormaments which can create bad voice leading.

For a renaissance musician, this was a piece of cake, because they
were multilingual, experienced translators, and read music fluently
in all clefs, and could transpose.
For us, it is a relative challenge.
Everyone has their own way of training, my trial and error method
presently is to duplicate the historical musician's training.
That means, clefs, notation, transposition, etc, etc.
I can understand why many people feel that is too much work, but
without the notation/voice leading background complex ornamentation
is really not practical.

My ultimate reasoning is that the lute players of today should be
regarded as the best musicians in the world.
Sadly, that is not the case. Far too often we are considered by other
players as "notationally challenged"
This may be an unpopular view.

Each player has to weigh how much and what sort of training to put in
and see how much they then enjoy the music, find it rewarding, valuable etc.
And in this respect there is room for every approach & style. Thank heaven.

In French ornamentation, I think one "gets more out of it" by
learning all the agreements & brouderie, and the right application.
But that is a personal decision. I simply find it unusual that this
whole gigantic area of style is not practiced. What an opportunity!

As a professional, I am frequently called upon to tone transpose.
This is no problem for either notation or tab, as it is a simple
skill, easily learned, and common practice historically.
Being able to do this task unquestionably creates more work
opportunities, as does knowledge of different types of ornamentation.
It is just simple "Lute DSP"
Certainly easier than the Times crossword or those scary Sudoku puzzles.

In Ultimate Lute DSP one sees the tab, the notes, the trasposition
possibilities and the ornaments simultaneously. In a way, this
reflects the "look" of Dowland Lacrimae set, with the parts written
out. This is the best set of "Lute Lessons"
of its time.
Practically speaking, reading and visualizing the notes is plenty for
basic ornamentation, if ornamentation is your goal.

One can easily create examples that show tab conversion into voice
leading, and how certain ornaments work and others do not. And take
out the guesswork.
I'll be happy to put some online.

I think there really needs to by a clear & compelling reason NOT to
learn the basics elements of musical training of the historical
musicians--especially when singers, cornetto, recorder and keyboard
players are doing exactly that.

But even if there were no professional incentive to learn these
things, it just seems like:
:"They knew it, so I should learn it"

as opposed to
"They knew it; I need not learn it"