Here is the lost message (Henning, try to send messages as
plain text rather than html if you can)

I always change the 1st and 2nd strings on my 10 course lute
when tuning down from vieil ton to the new
tunings. I put on some thicker
ones to compensate the loss of tension and an out -of -tune muddy sound,
tuning down from nominal 2nd course D to C.( Don't forget to  put
on thinner strings when tuning up again to vieil ton. I
have not tried a single 2nd course in the
new tunings, as this would result in unequal distance between the
1st, 2 nd and
3rd courses (using just one of two holes in the bridge) I can't
remember having seen
any references to single 2nd courses on the 10 course lute. The
question of the
transition from the 10 to the 11 course French lute is a complex one.
See for ex. Michael Lowe, Renaissance and Baroque Lutes, a False Dichotomy,
in Proceedings of the International Lute Symposium,  1986.

Best wishes , Henning Hoel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]