Don't know if still available, but Lumsden's old anthology was what
got me started on staff notation 1,000 years ago. I painfully
transcribed the first third of the "Lachrimae" into guitar standard
notation, got impatient & disgusted, and just learned staff for lute
in G. It's much easier than German tab. and you don't even have to
flop your brain as is necessary for learning Italian tab. Lute in "A"
is easy if one has a classical guitar background- simply pretend one
has a high "a" string. There was (is?) a staff version of the
"Varietie" as well.

For Baroque lute there is Perrine's "Pieces de luth en musique",
Paris, ca. 1680 the one lute book originally in staff notation.
Perhaps an easier path for beginning Baroque lute staff reading may
be reading not too technically advanced violin music- harmonically
sparer, and melodically rewarding when not too technically
challenging.

Going back in the other direction, pre-tab lute music may simply be
undesignated staff notation, tab being an expedient for clarifying
music of consistently more than one part on a fretted instrument. One
could simply begin by reading single line stuff- with or without a
Medieval plectrum- from the Odhecaton or other early sources.