I would not say that the tip of the finger controls the tone so much
as that if the tip curls in at the wrong moment it will ruin the tone.
If the tip merely follows the fingers and remains flexible, the tone
has a much better center. The tone does not start with tip, I think.
The wrist is also very important for the tone, as well as the slight
dome shape to the inside of the palm.
The two most common problems that I see are that the wrist is
locked--I think it is almost impossible to draw the sound out in this
case. Then there is the last minute curling of the finger tips,
affactionately known as "the claw".

The "next step" (aka "the next level") is now becoming an interesting
pedagogical device. Teachers find that it is a good way to encourage
people, as opposed to to an approach based on "square one" or "fundamentals."
A lot of teachers are using it; a lot are discussing it. Teachers use
it as a way of safely critiquing other teacher's work indirectly a well.
The idea of square one is frumpy, old fashioned and unattractive.

The question it raises is whether the method effectively avoids
addressing the core skills, jury is out on that one.

To put a number on it, I have never seen someone who worked
reasonably hard fail to acquire the core skill set in two to three
years. Good enough to start professional work.

Every morning I wake up on square one, no question; I don't know if
I'm walking or treading water. I try not to think about the third
option. Perhaps there is another way.

dt