Actually, we already have the "Late Dowland Model Lute"- it's
disguised as an 11 course d-minor French Baroque lute. Knock off a
course, maybe trim the neck slightly, reconfigure the bridge holes &
nut grooves and "Viola!" (viola da mano de Flanders). I have always
hated the clunky look of nearly every builder's 10 course lute, and
thought that if I wanted a 10 course custom built I would merely
order one based on the 11 course model. I have been pleased to see
that some 10 course lutes are now, in fact, built on the 11 course
platform- and some can even be configured either way after purchase.