Dear David,

Dowland's "I saw my lady weep", and similar songs are more in the
consort song tradition, i.e. solo voice accompanied by four viols, like
those by Byrd. The mood is set by the instrumental introduction, but the
singer's melody is not pre-empted.

In this context I would mention Bossinensis, whose lute songs were
published in 1509 and 1511, very much earlier than Dowland. Bossinensis
offers a number of preludes, and he specifies which songs would be
appropriate for which preludes. Significantly each prelude may be used
for a number of different songs. There is no specific melodic or
harmonic material taken from a song, as there would be if you played the
first few or last few bars of a song as a prelude. The preludes simply
help set the mood - they draw the attention of the audience, like
Milano's preliminary chords before playing ricercars after dinner - and
they help establish the tonality for the singer. On the whole they are
fairly insubstantial things, and any player competent enough to play
Bossinensis' song accompaniments, should really be able to manage his
own preludes ex tempore.

My view is that a lutenist could play a little before a song, if he and
the singer agree it is a good idea, but I would keep it short, and avoid
playing the notes of the singer's melody.

I think it is fair game to play solo pieces between songs, if only to
give the singer's voice a rest, but I don't think it is such a good idea
to use them as a prelude, if they are really pieces in their own right.

By the way, some contend that "I saw my lady weep" is a prelude for
"Flow my tears", and the two songs could (or should?) be sung as a pair.
Arguments in favour are

1) "Flow my tears" comes immediately after "I saw my lady weep";

2) both songs have words about weeping;

3) both songs are in A minor, and the first ends on the dominant chord
of E major, inviting a continuation in the home key of A minor;

4) one might have expected Dowland to put his most famous piece first in
the book, as he did with his 5-part consort Lachrimae. If "I saw my lady
weep" really is a prelude to "Flow my tears" - an integral part of the
song - then Dowland's Lachrimae does occupy first place in the song book
after all.

Argument against:

1) There is nothing specific in the book to say that both songs should
be played as one, e.g. the songs are not labelled as "First part" and
"Second Part" as Dowland does with other songs when they are related.

Many years ago, I heard Anthony Rooley accompany Emma Kirkby in "I saw
my lady weep". At the start of the third verse he played

 |\ |\    |\
 |  |\    |
 |. |\    |

presumably to add a few more tears to the proceedings.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.