From: Leonard Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2008/07/29 Tue PM 05:30:29 CDT
To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [LUTE] Tuning protocol

Collective Wisdom--
        It seems that most tuning schemes have you starting with your A,
whatever A you've decided on (440, 415, etc).  For solo playing, however,
would it not be better to consider the pitch of the lute?  Most pieces for
the "G" lute (renaissance tuning) seem to fall in the keys of F, Bb, C or G
and their relative minors.  Should we be tuning to a note that is in some
way focal to each of these keys?  Or perhaps we should view the whole affair
from a modal perspective and find a central tone therein for tuning? Is the
lute in this sense a transposing instrument, like an Eb clarinet or a Bb
trumpet?

Thanks and regards,
Leonard Williams

       /[ ]