On Sep 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Rob MacKillop wrote:

> Thee-oar-boe, with the initial th as in thick.
>
>  Looks like an American accent, with that oar in there, Howie. I
> would say Thee - or - boe. But what do Scots know? [Don't answer that]

Most Americans would pronounce the two spellings the same way and,
indeed, I can't tell what difference you mean to convey.  Nor are you
likely to explain it satisfactorily without resort to the
International Phonetic Alphabet.  But now our correspondent can get
it right if he's Californian or Scottish.  I have no clue how to say
it Mississippian or Strine.