From: Stewart McCoy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 18 September 2008 21:32
To: Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] New to the lute

Dear Duffy,

You ask about inexpensive lutes, such as those by EMS, which are indeed
very cheap. Like so many things in this world, you get what you pay for.
I would advise buying the best lute you can afford, and not one where
you have to make adjustments to make it playable. It is better to ask a
teacher for advice, than buy something on your own before going for
lessons.

As far as choosing between a renaissance and baroque lute is concerned,
you should consider the music you want to play. If the answer is both
renaissance and baroque music, I would start with a renaissance lute,
because that instrument is closer to your familiar guitar. Guitar chord
shapes are the same on the renaissance lute, but one string lower. If
you bought a baroque lute, having to cope with lots of strings, an
unfamiliar (D minor) tuning, and difficult music, might put you off.

Lute players in the past played without nails, although we know there
were some who played with nails. If you play with nails, you tend to
catch just one string of each pair, which is unsatisfactory. Playing
with nails works well with a single-strung theorbo, just as it does on
the modern guitar. If your instrument has strings in pairs, it is better
to play without nails, because you are more likely then to strike both
strings of a course. Watching a good player should convince you.

Good luck with it all. If you have more questions, this is the place to
ask.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.