Dear Arthur,

Thank you again very sincerely for spending some time answering my initial
query about the mysterious B.M. Yes, I was aware of the fact that Mariagrazia
Carlone was Paul Beier's wife. By the way I like what Paul does very much. I
will keep the possible Medici connection to myself until Mariagrazia publishes
her work and carry on with the usual "Florentine gentleman" stuff, no problem
of course.
In fact, I was wondering about B.M.'s identity because I am in the process of
writing notes for a CD which is due to be released in December. With my
colleague and good friend Thierry Meunier we have done a recording of lute
duets in August and among them are Galilei's Contrapunti... It was a great
experience, especially as the job was done without ANY editing, just live
recording !  Honest and very demanding... I will be more than pleased to send
you a copy when it is released. (You can see a few photos of the adventure
there : http://adueliuti.free.fr/cd.htm if you like).

I am leaving for the week-end, heading to Normandy and the seaside. We have
some gorgeous weather right now, much nicer than anything we had in the summer
actually.

Thank you again for your precious help. Very best wishes.

Jean-Marie

======= 20-09-2008 13:08:09 =======

>>Dear Jean-Marie,
>>
>>You may know that Mariagrazia Carlone is Paul Beier's wife.
>>
>>I was purposely vague about Mariagrazia's suggestion of an identification
>>of "B.M." on Galilei's "Fronimo."  That is because, I just had a short
>>mention and a reference to a section of her article that presumably
>>contains her thinking about why she selected the person. I didn't have
>>that part of her article.  So I thought I'd let the Lute List wait for her
>>article.  In it she suggests a Medici, as you guessed.  Namely Bernardetto
>>Medici.  There is a person with that name who was rather famous in the
>>15th century.  But we would need to know about the namesake who was active
>>in the middle of the 16th century.  I could not find any references to
>>him.
>>
>>Perhaps it would be best to hold this information from publication until
>>after her article appears.  It is also possible that she is just making a
>>guess.  Like Hoppy and Paul were doing.<g>  We forget how popular was the
>>lute and how many professional players were around back then.  I have been
>>reading a book on musicians in 16th-century Milan.  The author (Christine
>>Suzanne Getz--Ashgate Publishers) has a list of musicians who committed
>>crimes (murder, assaults, carrying illegal weapons, etc.) and many were
>>professional lutenists whose names are unknown today.  She has a few new
>>information about  Pietro Paulo Borrono, who as you probably know was in
>>France.
>>
>>It was nice to hear from you.  Best regards, Arthur.
>>=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
>>This week's free download from Classical Music Library is Chopin's 3
>>Mazurkas, Op. 59, performed by Abdel Rahman El Bacha, pianist.
>>To download, click on the CML link here
>>http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/
>>
>>My Web Page:  Scores
>>http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/