----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Arthur Ness" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Lute Net"
<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:44 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: The Pauper Prince

| Art,
|
| This is truly a fascinating story about a man whose family has a direct
| connection to our lute music.  Many thanks!
|
| ed
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo|

Hi Ed,

This is the second time an article about him as appeared in te Globe's
Sunday magazine section.  He seems to be "the all-American boy" type, and
I can imagine how dismayed he must have been when he discovered at the age
of 25 or so that he was responsible for the upkeep of a half dozen
crumbling castles in Bohemia.  And a 65,000 volume library of rare books.

I was able to look through all the Lobkowitz lute manuscripts when
Charlotte and I attended a meeting of the International Music Library
Assocation in Prague at a tlime when the Velvet Revolution was underway
(the railroad station is named after Woodrow Wilson, and his quotations
are on the walls).  Charlotte was busy at the meerings which dealt mainly
with technical and procedural discussions (the IMLA is responsible for
RISM). So I had a week to wander about and discover Prague, a most
wonderful city.  I could stand by the grave of Smetana and see the Moldau
flowing past a short distance away.

And from a used book dealer, I bought a 19th century book on the treasures
at Roudnice (art work, musical instruments, weapons), all of which "Bill"
Lobkowitz now must care for.<g>
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====