Cc: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 12:47 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Respighi

Arthur,

     I'm curious about the "lutenist who may not be
named" as well.  Trustworthy as this fellow probably
is, there have been bigger hoaxes before so we have to
remain sceptical until the lutenist's name comes out
or there is some verifiable publication.  The
Segovia/Ponce frauds for example didn't happen so long
ago as to be unthinkable today.

    For those who might not know, Andres Segovia and
Manuel Ponce conspired to pass off Ponce's original
guitar compositions as the work of past masters.
These included "transciptions" of piano pieces (sic)
by Allesandro Scarlatti, a Suite in A minor by Weiss,
and the Sonata Classica by Sor - all entirely the work
of Ponce.  While today it seems incredible that anyone
could be fooled for a minute (Ponce was a mediocre
composer at best) these sham works were recorded and
published in the 1950's under the baroque composers'
names.

   Since these pieces were vouched for by such giants
in the field, they got passed around and accepted as
part of the repertoire.  For years, Segovia and Ponce
fooled audiences, critics and musicologists.  John
Williams' Wigmore Hall debut included the "Scarlatti"
and "Weiss" pieces.  Heitor Villa-Lobos tried to argue
that the "Weiss" was so good that it must in fact be
by J.S. Bach(!).  When the master guitarist and
respected composer were finally discovered, they
claimed it had all been just a little joke.  Ha-ha.

   I believe that all of these pieces are still in
print under Ponce's name.

Chris