"howard posner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> >> The obvious question would be "who said that?"

MGG (3rd ed) had it as a usual term. Spaltklang was the usual sound
ideal of medieval and baroque ensembles. The Burgundian court chapel
consisted of singers, fiddles, flutes, harps, lutes etc. all of whom
were supposed to be distinctly heard.
By and large the same applied to broken consorts around 1600.

Perhaps, the opposite will make it clear. Renaissance had instrument
families perform music, i. e. families of viols, flutes, lutes etc. so
as to make music sound as one whole. Another example is king Louis XIV's
orchestra, the 24 Violins of the King, where several violins had to fuse
or merge their respective sounds into one.

I've posted my question, how to translate Spaltklang into English, to
several discussion groups. Answers expected to pop up soon >8)
--
Mathias