On Sep 29, 2008, at 4:22 AM, Mathias Rösel wrote:

> Hope that helps so far, as for chapters and verses.

So if I understand correctly, the answer to my question about who
mentioned "Spaltklang" is that it was 20th-century German
musicologists interpreting the intent of earlier musicians without
citing the words of any earlier musicians.

I've never encountered an English term similar to "Spaltklang."

It seems to me that Harnoncourt has nearly the opposite opinion,
writing that the baroque orchestra was like a baroque organ, with the
sounds of the individual instruments designed to blend.  He contrasts
the modern orchestra, in which the instruments are designed to stand
out (consider, for example, the sharper tone of the modern flute,
oboe and trumpet, in comparison to their baroque counterparts).  Of
course, H. may have been talking about a different century from the
one the MGG writers discussed.

BTW, what does "MGG" stand for?