Dear Ray,

Thank you for the explanation. I remember with pleasure that phrase from
the Wizard of Oz, now you come to mention it, having played bass guitar
for the show a couple of years ago.

I think it is more than likely that your xerox is from Verchaly's
edition. Page 5 would be the second page you have, which you think might
be an unrelated piece. The six verses at the bottom of the page are
verses 2-7.

The second c# I was referring to, the one which would make the music
sound like the Blues, comes six events after the difficult chord you
mention:

 |\ |\    |\ |\ |\        |\  |\
 |  |\    |\ |\ |\        |\  |\
 |  |     |. |\ |         |\  |
_______f__f__g__f__d____b_______
_d________g________f__|_b_______
_d________g________g__|_d___c_d_
_a__a_____d___________|___d_____
___________________d__|_________
______________________|_b_______

The rogue c# is the penultimate note.

Playing the difficult chord is not so hard, as long as you use a
suitable fingering. If you play the first chord above with 3 and 4, you
can slide both fingers along the strings from the d fret to the g fret.
Having established those two fingers at the g fret, you then place your
1st finger at f on the 1st course, and reach back with your 1st finger
for a barré. The general principle of fingering is to put down first
whichever fingers are nearest the bridge, which means the barré should
ideally come last. (That rule is broken for the chord immediately in
front of the bar-line, because the barré is already in place.)

There will be another slide linking the two chords separated by the bar
line. This time the 4th finger will slide from fret g back to fret d on
the 2nd course. It is always a good idea to keep at least one left-hand
finger in contact with a string. If you take all your fingers away from
the strings, you lose your orientation, and are more likely to play a
wrong note.

Here is the same passage with the c# corrected, and with my preferred
fingering:

 |\ |\        |\ |\ |\          |\   |\
 |  |\        |\ |\ |\          |\   |\
 |  |         |. |\ |           |\   |
__________2f__f_4g_2f__d_____b_________
_4d_____4_____g_______3f__|__b_________
_3d_____3_____g_______4g__|_4d____b_4d_
__a__a________d___________|____3d______
_______________________d__|____________
__________________________|__b_________

Letters without fingering are either open strings or notes to be stopped
by the 1st finger as a barré. I have put the 3rd and 4th fingers a long
way in front of the two gs, to show that those fingers must be in place
before you consider playing f.

To make the shift even easier, you could place your 2nd finger at c1 for
the 1st chord, even though it is not needed:

 |\

_2c_
_4d_
_3d_
___
___
___

Then you would slide all three fingers along the strings ready for the
next chord, before reaching back with your 1st finger for the barré.

Best wishes,

Stewart.