I've been experimenting with substituting the harpsichord in high
   baroque pieces with organ and archlute--the archlute has less of a full
   sound than the theorbo but the treble makes a nice counterpoint for
   Bach
   The Bach Sonata here is traditionally played with harpsichord continuo,
   or harpsichord with viol or cello (BWV 1021):
   vimeo:
   [1]http://www.vimeo.com/1923817
   the tube:
   [2]http://tinyurl.com/5n6ecp
   The figures are used as a guide to create a simple countersubject
   shared between the lute and the organ.
   I think that for some reson, it is easier to hear all of the nuances in
   the sound of the violin with this combination, as opposed to the
   harpsichord.
   Perhaps the organ provides a kind of support similar to what it does
   for a singer, or perhaps the "after clack" of the harpsichord adds a
   layer of noise to the sound.
   I'm not saying I don't like the harpsichord; it is just interesting
   that the organ/lute seem to cover up the violin less.
   dt --