Mace actually warns of the dangers of plopping down carelessly on a bed with a lute in it, remarking that he has seen several lutes "spoil'd with such a trick" or words to that effect. I used to have the passage glued to my lute case, but that was a couple of decades and a couple of baroque lutes ago.

BTW, Mace actually warned that between the sheets was "moist with sweat, etc." I always found the "etc." evocative.