I'm sure there will be better documented replies, but I think the many visual
images of people playing music informally outdoors would indicate that, at
least as an idea, they would have thought fairly highly of it.

I suspect from my own personal anecdotal evidence, though, that the
difficulties of dealing with weather, insects, and trying to get comfortable
sitting on steps and walls, not to mention difficulties of being heard,  might
have affected what they thought of the actuality.

Again, best to all.
C.

>>> Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/25/2008 5:46 PM >>>

In the past year or two, steel-string acoustic guitarists have
begun playing at night on the Univ of Texas campus, sitting
on various steps and walls.

Do we have any way to guess what our historical lutenist
predecessors would have thought of performing so informally?