On Tue, Nov 25, 2008, Christopher Stetson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi,
>
> Good question, Eugene.  There is no indication of octave stringing in any
> staff notation that I know of, just the fundamental note.

I would assume that the exclusion is simply because the use of octave
stringing is a technical issue that improves the sound of the string,
varys from one instrument to another, and should not be presumed by a
modern editor unless it was discussed in the prefatory material to the
original edition.

Potential splitting of the strings on an octaved course would be a
seperate issue, and reentrant stringing (as on a banjo or maybe a cittern)
would require some thought.  When done as a technical issue (eg, the
string would have been an octave lower had that been feasible) then the
intended pitch should be indicated, but when (as on a modern banjo) the
pitch actually sounded is the pitch musically desired, then that is what
should be indicated, and how it is found on the instrument is then a
challenge to the player. (Yay for tab!)
--
Dana Emery