Sorry David, I sent this to you twice, I meant to send it to the list.

In brief, the Olympus LS-10, the Marantz PMD620, have small monitor speakers too.
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compare-portable-recorders.html
I think the Marantz 620 is the one that is just below the 660, that you own.
You can compare sound samples here:
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

In a while, I will send questions about mics to the collective wisdom, if
we accept, David T's advice and go for the Fostex.
Anthony