Yes, it is and E a fifth above the top string is the usual tuning,
and the Bach suite for 5 string cello is for this instrument.
However, it is excellent for 17th century music as well, although
they often used the really big cello--cellos came in two sizes. The 5
string is normally the smaller size due to the higher pitch of the top string.
The large size is rare nowadays, rarer still with all gut strings.
dt