Standard pedal harp gauges are listed on my web site (www.hbryan.com) under "string sets" Read the Gothic harp column, which lists standard Vanderbilt Classic Gut strings.by note name and diameter in inches.

Order them from Vanderbilt Music in Bloomington, Indiana. The gauges you'll need for a lute are well less than $20 each. Order by octave and note name. The strings from the third octave up are about 55 in long.

On pedal harps, the lowest notes are called 7th octave. Middle C is "4th octave C".

I've used these strings on many harps, and on a theorbo. They are polished and varnished,a nd last longer than anything I've bought from specialty makers who cater to the lute crowd. They have proven to be better quality than strings I have purchased from any other vendor. I string about 35 harps/year, have had three defective strings in 8 years. Believe me, that is an awesome record!

If you have questions, contact me. Vanderbilt has a web site with prices, etc.

Howard Bryan

chriswi...@yahoo.com wrote:
Hello Fonts of Wisdom,

     I'm wanting to do some experimenting with
different bass strings for my bass rider 13-course.

Does anyone have experience using harp strings? I've noticed that Bow Brand has gut strings for around
$20 a piece.  If this even works, its not terribly
cheap, but acceptable for a trial run.

    I have no idea how you order them - they don't
sell them by gauges, but rather by harp maker and
octave.  An tips?

Chris