On Jan 5, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Guy Smith wrote:

>    I'm
>    afraid that I might have finally taken complete leave of my
> senses, as
>    I am now in possession of one of those overly large lutes with
> too many
>    strings (on loan, but...).

How long is it?  If that's not too personal a question...

>    I plan to seek professional assistance soon, but in the interim, a
>    tuning question. The instrument is currently in A. I could
> retune it to
>    G, so I could more easily transfer my experience with the G
> lute, or I
>    could leave it in A and relearn a bunch of chords. Any advice on
> which
>    option is likely to be preferable? FWIW, I don't have to perform
> on it
>    for around 6 months, so relearning the chords should be manageable,
>    although the next rehearsal or two might be a bit rough.

See the first question.  Is the instrument theorbo-sized?  i.e. too
big to tune the top strings at lute pitch?

There's nothing wrong with theorbo in G, though the sound may be a
bit tubby; depends on the instrument.  Consider one reentrant course
instead of two, if you're considering them at all.

If you had aspirations of being a professional, the answer would be
"might as well tune it in A because you need to learn the tuning."
For amateurs, especially those who might be slow to acquire the skill
of reading in a new tuning, I'd say keep it simple and go with what
you know.  This also depends on what kind of music you're playing.
If you're doing Vivaldi in E major, A tuning makes life easier.