On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM,  <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

> In the NGD article 'sources of lute music' section 6 - 'low countries...'
> is an illustration from Adriaen Valerius 'Nederlandtsches gedenck-clanck'
> of 1626; Almande Nonette (Une jeune fillette).
>> anyone familiar with this
> edition? I am eager to hear about it.

I have a facsimile (limited edition, in the series Herleefd Verleden,
Facsimile Uitgaven Amsterdam, 1968) and a modern edition of the text
with facsimile of the music (just the melodies, not the lute and
cittern tab!) with an introduction by P. Meertens (ja, die van het
bureau) and margin notes to correct the rather coloured historical
info (Wereldbilbiotheek, 1947). The introduction of the 1947 edition
is given in a separate booklet in the 1968 facsimile. Valerius'
Gedenc-Clanck is a history book, describing the recent 'troubles' with
the Spaniards. The text is livened up by poetry, to be sung to mostly
existing lute songs (Dowland et al). Tab given for g'-lute and
cittern. Full of mistakes in the tab, cittern and lute tab don't
agree, melody and lute tab don't agree. Much used in Dutch lute song
recitals, but the thing to do is to us Dowland's (et al) settings for
the songs. Songs much loved in 19th century Holland for their
patriotic content. Some 19th and early 20th century editions with just
the songs, modernised accompaniments for piano. I have a 1931 edition
with called 'Liederen van Groot-Nederland'. Some nice 'songs, some
dated ones, some famous ones still sung. Our national anthem is in
there, not in its very first appearance but still pretty close. I
sometimes play it in concert with a singer, but strictly as written,
which is slightly different in rhythm, not yet modernised to easy
three and four in a bar. Nice shock for a Dutch audience.

Second hand book shops in Holland might have the 1947 edition (without
the lute tab!) for about 40 euros, the facsimile is rare, but can be
found with some patience.

David