Hi there,

I have been a lefty all my life, and as I was originally self-taught on guitar,
when I shifted to lute, afetr years of bluesin' and jazzin' around, it was out
of the question to change my ways. So lefty I was and lefty I will stay as long
as possible... Of course it means specially made instruments, but on the whole,
I have never been bothered because of my left-handedness by my subsequent
teachers, Hoppy Smith one of them... or perhaps should I say my left-handedness
never bothered them : the major drawback was they hhad to use their own lute to
show me some tricks and subtleties of phrasing and thing. By the way if
Jonathan Rubin was on this list he might also contribute, just like David van
Oijen and a couple more. He is a prominent lefty who was in Basel at the same
time as Smith and O'Dette, among others...

I tend to do quite a bit of continuo work on the (left-handed ;-) theorbo and
archlute, and although it is sometimes sort of funny to find an adequate place
in the orchestra but I have never been in trouble, or fired, because of that,
even in a squad of 4 or more pluckers as it sometimes (too rarely, alas)
happens.
By he way I also play the viol, and Derek Porteous made an excellent
left-handed tenor viol for me a dozen years ago and I tend to specialize on
that instrument when playing in consort. The issue of bowing is not so hard or
complicated to overcome as long as your partners are happy to play with you ;-)
! Here again, my enduring lefty playing cannot be held reponsible for a single
casualty in trios, quartets, quintets or sextets I have been taking part in ;-)

Finally, my experience leads me to think that most, if not all, makers (at
least lute-makers) will be too happy to make a left-handed instrument if asked
to. David Van Edwards, from Norwich, England, made quite a few, including mine
and they are top class lutes indeed ! I am looking forward to an 11 course
Baroque lute after Frei by him, which never posed the slightest problem when I
ordered it from him and discussed some details for decoration and string length
etc... He will simply symetrically reverse the plan of the famous Warwick Frei
realised by Michael Lowe in the late 60s I think. Didn't seem to be a problem
for him at all.

Best wishes and a happy new lefty and righty year to all !

Jean-Marie Poirier

======= 12-01-2009 18:13:16 =======