Dear Rainer & All:
   There has ever been a tendency on the part of historians and
   musicologists to attribute anonymous somethings to a known someone.
   The anonymous trebles attributed to John Johnson do contain elements
   that bear some resemblance to Johnson's bag of tricks, but this
   probably has to do with the phenomenon of imitating a good player who
   was hot stuff at the time.
   Take the trebles in the Marsh ms.  Some are in fact attributed to
   Johnson but many are the work of an inventive scribe who knew Johnson's
   style inside and out through the process of writing them down.  This
   same scribe is responsible for other pieces in the ms. that could or
   should be attributed to Johnson.  The 'passingmeasues pavan' (fm) on
   page 130 is just like Johnson's, using the same devices almost in the
   same order, but just not quite up to snuff.  The anonymous 'Dump
   philli' on page 426 that people continue to misattribute to Philip van
   Wilder uses exactly the same devices as found in several other pieces
   in the book, including the rambling 'Dump' on page 280.  I have spent a
   good deal of time with van Wilder's vocal music and can safely say that
   he had as much to do with 'Dump philli' as Josquin had to do with
   'Pegaramsey'.
   I think we know a little more about the value of the work of anonymous
   scribes and lutenists than we did 30 years ago.  It's probably OK to
   play trebles that were not written by John Johnson.  No lives will be
   lost.
   Best wishes,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:33:36 +0100
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: rspringaus...@tee.toshiba.de
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Green Sleeves
   >
   > I assume all these attributions are based on Nordstrom's article.
   >
   > The problems is that almost all trebles with any attribution in the
   source are by Johnson.

   > From memory:
   >
   > There is one by Cutting.
   > There is one by Ferrabosco I.
   > There is one (totally different style) by Danyel.
   >
   > There are several (real and sort of) treble and ground duets by
   Robinson (switching parts every strain). Totally different style.

   > Hence the question is to whom do you want to attribute treble and
   ground duets?

   > Best wishes,
   >
   > Rainer aus dem Spring
   >

   > IT & Business Solutions Division
   >

   > Tel.: +49 211-5296-355
   > Fax.: +49 211-5296-405

   and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please
   destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
   the sender immediately.

   > You should not retain, copy or use this email for any purpose outside
   of any NDA currently existing between Toshiba Electronics Europe GmbH
   and yourselves.

   > Toshiba Electronics Europe GmbH
   > Hansaallee 181 - 40549 Duesseldorf - Germany
   > Phone: +49 (211) 5296-0 - Fax: +49 (211) 5296-400
   >
   > Handelsregister Duesseldorf HRB 22487
   > Geschaeftsfuehrer: Hitoshi Otsuka
   > Amtsgericht Duesseldorf

   Windows Live: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. [1]See how
   it works. --