In Paris we have the firm of LeRoy & Ballard, publishing from 1551 onwards
guitar, lute, and cittern tablatures using a distinctive type cut by
Granjon.

In London, a very similar type is seen in use in several editions, the
earliest of which are (Brown sigla) - 1574.2 (printed by Kyngston), 1599.1
(printed by [H Ballard for] Barley).

A curious coincidence in names gives one to speculate on how the type came
to england.  In spite of a plethora of geneological web sites for the
surname Ballard I have not been able to find plausible biographical
information for Richard B., and only an implausible one for Henry B.  It
is plausible that both of them are immigrants, perhaps hugenot refuges, I
cannot tie them to Paris either.

I have consulted Steele _Earliest English Music Printing_, Krummel
_English Music Printing_, Heartz _Pierre Attaignant, Royal Printer of
Music_, Krummel & Sadie, _Music Printing and Publishing_, as well as the
articles in NGD.

Henry Ballard [fl 1599-1609] was a printer and worked for Wm Barley on
several editions.

Richard Ballard [fl 1571-1585] was a bookseller at the north end of London
Bridge (St Magnus Corner), he seems to have favored books on navigation
and other works printed by John Allde and John Kyngston.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, especially for geneological info on
the Parisian Ballards.
--
Dana Emery